Liquid Amber 2022 Poetry Prize Entry Form
$10.00 – $15.00
The Poetry of Encounter
Liquid Amber Press is running its inaugural poetry prize to give established and emerging poets a forum to explore an exciting theme, win a prize and have their poems published in a high quality anthology. Be inspired. Join in.
- First prize – $500
- Second prize – $150
- Best Poem by an Emerging Poet – Editing Service Pack with Rose Lucas
- Poems on the longlist to be published in the Anthology (authors receive a copy)
NOTE: The Entry Form will be forwarded to you via email after checkout.
|Vermeer, Girl reading a letter at an open window,
1657 – 1659
|Sharon Monagle, ‘Alchemy’,
|There are openings in our lives
of which we know nothing.
the belled herds travel at will,
long-legged and thirsty, covered
with foreign dust.
Jane Hirschfield, ‘The Envoy’
|I imagine this midnight moment’s forest:
Something else is alive
Beside the clock’s loneliness
And this blank page where my fingers move.
Through the window I see no star
Something more near
Though deeper within darkness
Is entering the loneliness:
Ted Hughes, ‘The Thought Fox’
|What is your experience of encounter? What are the moments that can startle us out of our previous way of understanding ourselves and the world throwing open windows and allowing something different, something that challenges, maybe even disrupts us, to come through? What might it mean when you encounter the strange skin of the unexpected?
Use these images and prompt questions to respond in whatever ways your imagination takes you. Respond to the ideas, respond to the visual and visceral nature of these painted images.
Rules and Guidelines
- Open to all poets internationally
- Liquid Amber Press staff are not eligible to submit to the competition
- No late entries will be accepted
- Poems must not have been previously published in digital or print form, and must not be published until after the announcement of the longlist for the prize
- Poems can be written in any style
- Each poem must be no more than 50 lines (does not include title or subtitle)
- There is no limit to the number of poems that each poet can submit (as separate entries)
- Poems selected in the longlist will be published in the anthology The Poetry of Encounter (Liquid Amber Press, 2022)
- The Judges’ decision will be final
Entry Ticket Pricing: Waged = $15/poem; Unwaged = $10/poem. (prices include GST)
Submissions close: June 1st, 2022
Submission details: Details are forwarded to you via email after checkout
Judges: Anne M. Carson and Rose Lucas
Longlist announced: September 1st, 2022
Winners announced, anthology launched: Poetry Zoom, November 24th, 2022